Welcome
Welcome to dallashistory

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

We consist of current and former residents of the Dallas, Texas area. However, discussions vary widely about Dallas, History, Technology and wide topics from across the planet.

Flying Red Horse - or - Pegasus

This section is specifically for questions and research of Dallas, and surround communities' history.

Moderators: survivingworldsteam, Peterk

Flying Red Horse - or - Pegasus

Postby MickeyDal » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:00 pm

For a long time, I have been involved in a debate about the name of the symbol put atop the Magnolia Building in 1934.

People have a tendency to call it "Pegasus", based on the only Flying Horse in Greek Mythology, which sprang out of the severed neck of Medusa, when she was slain. As far as I know, there are no other Flying Horses in Mythology.

But..... some of my Dallas History friends, insist that it was only called the "Flying Red Horse", and that is the only name it should have. In addition, they insist that the Pegasus of Greek Mythology was white instead of red.

This debate has continued regardless of the existence of the "Pegasus Project" (180 different artistic renderings around the city), and "Pegasus Park" by the Magnolia Building downtown.

With the opening (May 15) of the Old Red Courthouse as a Dallas County Museum, we have been talking to the Museum people about this debate. They have the smaller Flying Red Horse sign, which was on the gas station at Casa Linda. In wanting to be accurate, we have discussed this major issue. :?

Looks like although Dallas only called it the "Flying Red Horse", Mobil (Magnolia, Standard, Vacuum) always intended to use PEGASUS as their logo. Looks like us Dallasite's have the wrong name again!! (Maybe it was named "Dallas"?)

Not sure if this settles the issue or not, but links to some of the companies' histories that discuss this symbol, gathered by Jessica Fagin of Old Red are below:

Pegasus: http://www2.exxonmobil.com/Corporate/Ab ... egasus.asp

Flying Red Horse: http://www.dallascityhall.com/historic/ ... lding.html

Flying Red Horse Pegasus: http://www.dallassky.com/bldg26.htm
MickeyDal
Site Admin

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby JOHN FINLEY » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:13 pm

When I was small, I called it the "Flying Red Horse", but my mom always corrected me and she told me to call it Pegasus. When she worked in that building downtown that has the white criss crosses at night, her boss there, siad that's what he was told to call it AGES ago.
JOHN FINLEY

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Clyde Howard » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:46 pm

Name used in Dallas wasn't wrong in any sense.

Item - it is fully descriptive - the representation is of a flying (red) horse. Why not call it that instead of the somewhat pedantic "Pegasus"?

Also - Magnolia and its successor Mobil used "At (or under) the Sign of the Flying Red Horse" in some of their ads. Recall them, well. And cannot recall a single one sending customers to "the sign of the red Pegasus".
Last edited by Clyde Howard on Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Absent comrades (Sound of breaking glass)
Clyde Howard

Have thanks: 2 time

Postby JOHN FINLEY » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:51 pm

I'm too young to know any of this. The earliest memory I have of pegasus was of looking through all the buildings and finding this neon horse. I was probably around 5 or so, and it was on the way to my first time at El Fenix in Oak Cliff. So, was that 1987 or so? Anyway, I was so surprised to find out that it use to rotate, and everytime we'd pass by it, I'd ask, when are they going to fix it? My mom and dad were so sick of hearing that! First time I said it, they said, "Who's going to fix what?" The birth of a historian! :D
JOHN FINLEY

Old Red Museaum opening

Postby Scott Dorn » Tue May 15, 2007 8:14 am

Speaking of Flying Red Horse andOld Red I am going to take some photos of the festivities for you all. Today it the day they kick off the Opening of the Old Red Museaum.
Scott Dorn
Photographically Preserving Dallas One Building at a time

Scott Dorn Flickr page
Scott Dorn

Postby Sharon Marsalis » Tue May 15, 2007 8:36 am

Scott, that will be so interesting to see. I have been thinking about Old Red for several days and wondering how its fabulous redo is coming along. I have even been tempted to post a description of the remodeling. Mike took some good photos of the "in progress" work. (I know you put a couple on your flickr site) Have fun and think of us.
Sharon Marsalis

Postby Cee Cee » Tue May 15, 2007 8:54 am

I can't wait to go to the Museum. I'm going next week....after the opening hoopla dies down.....so I can brouse till my heart's content.

I wonder if anyone has made or is selling.... replicas of the "Flying Red Horse"....like tabletop or floor size.
Wouldn't it be cool if someone would do a real "neon" one ...you could hang on the wall....

Googletime....I guess I outta look and cee................
Cee Cee

Postby awh » Tue May 15, 2007 8:57 am

Scott! Please take lots of pics and post please! We need to get down there and have a look around! Fond memories! Got our marriage license there back in '74.
awh

Highscores: 1

Postby Scott Dorn » Tue May 15, 2007 6:28 pm

Ok I will start with the program I got. I scanned it in I will post those as thumnails But You can click on the file and download it to larger size. Please feel free to save the scans I must apologize for the folds. got my copy and stuck in my back pocket so I could have my hands free to shoot.
M.C was there, Jerry Dealey was too. I saw old Board member Francis James, she hasn't posted in a number of years and and Jim Barnes
I got many great photo may take alwhile to get them all downloaded
Last edited by Scott Dorn on Tue May 15, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Dorn

Scott Dorn Flickr page
Scott Dorn

Postby Scott Dorn » Tue May 15, 2007 7:50 pm

To start things off Here is the lit Flying Red Horse right as you walk in

Last edited by Scott Dorn on Fri May 18, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Dorn

Scott Dorn Flickr page
Scott Dorn

Postby Scott Dorn » Tue May 15, 2007 8:15 pm

Here is the program.
Scott Dorn

Scott Dorn Flickr page
Scott Dorn

Postby Scott Dorn » Tue May 15, 2007 10:08 pm

Sharon look who I got a photo of
Scott Dorn

Scott Dorn Flickr page
Scott Dorn

Postby MickeyDal » Thu May 17, 2007 11:33 am

No..... that is the "flying red horse" as you walk in.

(Durn Yankees!)

:twisted:
MickeyDal
Site Admin

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby Ronnie » Thu May 17, 2007 11:59 am

I don't get around much anymore so I'm not familiar with the two gentlemen in the photo. Who are they and why?
Ronnie

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Sharon Marsalis » Thu May 17, 2007 1:28 pm

Ronnie, the gentleman on the left is Jim Barnes. He is the Oak Cliff native who has spent most of his adult life away from Dallas being an architect. He now lives back in Oak Cliff and has been writing a block by block account of the Myers and Stephens Park areas. Most importantly (to me) he is my friend of 3 years now and co-writer and researcher on T. L. Marsalis. We presented our paper at Legacies. Jim is also on the DHS Board.

The gentleman on the right is Linda's hero M.C. Toyer--local historian and Beeman/Bryant family descendant. I have never met him except via e-mails and posts.
Sharon Marsalis

Postby Clyde Howard » Thu May 17, 2007 1:32 pm

Sharon, is a copy of the aper you and Jim wrote available? I'd dearly like to see it in final form.
Absent comrades (Sound of breaking glass)
Clyde Howard

Have thanks: 2 time

Postby awh » Thu May 17, 2007 2:21 pm

Scott,

Remind me to buy you a "Man Purse" so your stuff won't get messed up carrying it around in your back pocket!

I have one and I'm not ashamed! Or maybe it's really a "European Carry-All" from the J. Peterman catalog!

:lol: :lol:
awh

Highscores: 1

Postby Sharon Marsalis » Thu May 17, 2007 2:33 pm

Clyde, the paper we presented (parts of) is going to be in Legacy Magazine. It was suppose to have been in the March one but more photos and editing were sought.

Anyway if you'll email me your email address I can send a copy as a pdf. file OR a word doc. file. You are listed as contributor from the DHS Board.
Sharon Marsalis

Postby Scott Dorn » Fri May 18, 2007 11:30 pm

Jerry, forgive that error On the flying horse, I knew that. We even discussed that at the event.
but For some reason I lost my mind apparently failed to see that until today.
I have fixed it.
Thank God for the edit button :lol:

Scott
Scott Dorn

Scott Dorn Flickr page
Scott Dorn

Postby Scott Dorn » Fri May 18, 2007 11:32 pm

awh wrote:Scott,

Remind me to buy you a "Man Purse" so your stuff won't get messed up carrying it around in your back pocket!

I have one and I'm not ashamed! Or maybe it's really a "European Carry-All" from the J. Peterman catalog!

:lol: :lol:

watch it I might take you up on that !!!!
Scott Dorn

Scott Dorn Flickr page
Scott Dorn

Return to Dallas History